A brief history of the CMC

In 1957, a Christian work that was both evangelical and interdenominational commenced in Beddgelert in the Snowdonia National Park with English Sunday services being conducted in the Methodist Chapel.

From these small beginnings the work of the Beddgelert Evangelical Services grew, and when Pastor and Mrs. Michael Perrin moved from Suffolk to N. Wales in November 1965 to help in this witness, they believed that God was leading them to establish a Christian centre for young people. Far sooner than expected a farmhouse was placed at their disposal and the vision of the Beddgelert Christian Mountain Youth Centre became operational.

The farmhouse "Hafod Wydr" was situated one mile to the north of Beddgelert on the road to Caernarfon. It was extensively modernised to accommodate 12-15 young people. However, in 1967 the rent agreement had come to an end. The landlord offered to sell it to the centre and buy another for himself but the centre had also outgrown the premises and so this was the start of a long search for a suitable property in the area.

The following summer, a small private hotel in Tremadog had just been bought, but the buyer has bee unable to raise the capital. The day that Michael Perrin saw the hotel up for re-sale he received a gift from a missionary in Alaska, who had read about the work and sent £500. Gifts came from many other sources, and the Ministry of Education gave a 50% grant. So in October of 1968, the Christian Mountain Centre moved to Gorffwysfa, meaning House of Rest, in Tremadog. Gorffwysfa initially could accommodate 24 but this was soon raised to 35.

After 30 years in Gorffwysfa, it became obvious that the CMC needed to move once more in response to increasing legislation and expectations regarding the standard of accommodation. Northamptonshire Association of Youth Clubs offered CMC the lease with the view to the purchase of Pensarn Harbour near Llanbedr, about 12 miles to the south.

Pensarn Harbour, formerly know as Pensarn Wharf was a small boat-building centre. It is known locally as Cei Pensarn. The harbour was used by sailing ships between 1700-1850, carrying slate from the quarry above Harlech to supply the towns of England. During the Irish potato famine, ships plied out of Pensarn with cargoes of potatoes to Ireland.

After leasing the premises during the 1998 season, the CMC purchased the site on 1st January 1999. During 1999, there were nearly 2000 visitors to the centre. The original vision of a Christian outdoor centre in Snowdonia that God laid on Mike Perrin's heart nearly 40 years previously, continues to live on and staff and trustees are continually reminded that all that has gone before is "the Lord's doing".